A Passion for Performance: Building Goodhart Theater
Despite Hutton, Cope and Stewardson's functional buildings, the college lacked a structure befitting of a large audience. Spatial limitations forced students to hold Banner Shows and Dramatics productions in the gymnasium. Additionally, the college's Music Department had no endowment and relied solely on the generous donations of the community. To help the arts thrive on campus, the Alumnae Association and then-President Marion Park, along with President Emeritus Thomas as a willing financier, launched a campaign to collect $400,000 for the construction of an auditorium.  Students actively participated in the fundraiser, pleading to parents for assistance  and pledging their own dollars towards the cause. [3-4] Everyone's efforts resulted in success. The money was amassed and finally, in 1928, the Marjorie Walter Goodhart Hall opened with reception space capable of accomodating over a thousand guests and a music room acoustically-optimized for smaller musical and chamber performances.
 From the article "Begin $400,000 Drive for Bryn Mawr Fund", 24 February 1925, as found on a page of the scrapbook of Lucy Shoe (Meritt), Class of 1927.
 Letter from Leila Cook Barber to Mr. Shoe, 7 May 1925, as found on a page of the scrapbook of Lucy Shoe (Meritt), Class of 1927.
 Letter from Mrs. Monroe Buckley to Lucy Shoe, 25 May, 1926, as found on a page of the scrapbook of Lucy Shoe (Meritt), Class of 1927.
 Letter from Undergraduate Committee, as found on a page from the scrapbook of Lucy Shoe (Meritt), Class of 1927.